23/09/2010

Geek Hit London. End of.

Looking down at my 17 papercuts, I know I've done the right thing.
I have decided to leave my placement. And I will tell you why.

Internship in·tern·ship [in-turn-ship] any official or formal program to provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession: an internship for management trainees.

My internship (which I will still not name) did not live up to my expectations. Please don't get me wrong, I am willing to be the bonniest filer in the land. I am willing to spend my own money, which I now have very little, running around London for you. I am willing to make your tea and photocopy your emails, file them straightly and neatly. I am willing to be treated as if I don't exist and have my personal space invaded on the tube every morning. I am even willing to run out of time to eat my lunch for you.
The only request I asked for was some training. An insight into the clothing supplying business. Some relevant information of the relationship between a buyer and a supplier. How they do business, that sort of thing.
My placement offered me none of this. From the get up, there was no structure, no understanding and no time to be invested in 'the work experience girl'.
When I heard that 'generally our interns help me in the office' I knew I had to find something else that can offer me some skills and CV gems. This is exactly what I did.
However I do owe them a 'thank-you'. Thankyou for teaching me that if you feel you are being undervalued, if you feel that you are not getting anything out of your work experience, ASK them. Ask everyone. Make a plan and present it to them. Remember some firms want to exploit their interns and treat them as robots. Still not naming any names.

The good news is I start my new internship with Kite Kids. An exciting local business with beautiful beautiful Eco friendly product.

So maybe I've lost a friend in fashion. Something tells me I'll be just fine.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: