13/09/2010

Geek Hits London: Day 1 of placement

Hello (*droany voice)
I'm so tired. My keypad is turning into a giant marshmallow and my vision is all mushy.
This is because I had me first day in laandan me old china. I started work at a clothing supplier and am going to be there for 3 long months so be prepared for some Devil Wears Prada esque posts. Actually hopefully not.

Like my mother, I'll keep you lucky things posted on all my comings and goings. My weekends still consists of ploughing through Primark's finest store (Poole!)and then travelling up to LDN on Sunday evening. Then I'm a 9-5 Monday-Thursday corporate stooge. More like a gofer really.

The company supplies and produces, sources and licences to huge retailers from Arcadia, Asos, New Look, River Island, Awear and many more to come.
Today was intimidating to say the least, but in every way exhilarating.
Jobs entailed;
Filing samples
Organising products
Cutting and copying
Dropping off garments to suppliers.
The latter was the most scary. I had to deliver several samples to Miss Selfridge and New Look. It was way important that I had to ensure that the buyer received the samples. Arcadia was big, tall, and full to the brim of people unwilling to help an obvious 'first day work experience girl'.
I felt like Andy delivering 'The Book'.
I can tell this side of the business I've entered is competitive, stressful and full of risk. Hopefully I'll get to meet some buyers although I quite like being in a sample cupboard. I feel like Harry Potter.
I got 3 hours sleep last night. Now I have an excuse for a poorly written blog post.
Bring on tomorrow.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments: