31/03/2010

I think I've got some explaining to do....



Well I think that I need to clear a few things up.
There is kind of stigma attached to the fast-fashion business these days, and no wonder when seeing documentaries like this one. It was Primark: On The Rack, a panorama documentary investigating Primark's initiatives, policies and what people don't know (or pretend the don't know) about where it is made. People do ask, why would you want to work for them? And not go somewhere more high-end? As if it some kind of 'second-best' mentality of mine!
In fact, the reasoning behind it is that, as soon as I get into a company, I would like a very hands-on, fast paced job role. It best suits my work ethic and clever quick-off-the-mark clothing companies best suit my wants as an employee.
Primark's Founder, Arthur Ryan says, 'people don't want to pay £59, because another £59 will give them a week in Lanzarote'. Aside from being hilariously funny, Ryan has his head firmly screwed on, if you ask me. I honestly believe that young people, generally whom this mass-produced fashion market appeals to e.g Primark: 16-35, will always be interested in saving money and may have limited funds. I can also say this because I have worked at 'Primarda' through the biggest national recession ever and, of course their profits have soared compared to other retailers at this time, but it is fair to say that their profits have always generated millions a week. This is simply down to the fast-fashion retailers getting the runway looks first, and for a lower pricepoint. This is why, that they have survived in this dog-eat-dog financial time.

However, this area of the market faces huge issues in the fashion world;

THE ISSUE> SUBCONTRACTING.
As the rate of fast fashion get faster and faster, retailers are having to re-stock their shelves and compete with their rivals. It's beginning to spiral out of control for the suppliers. These are primarily in India, where most high-street stores are linked to. The problems lie here. For example, the factories are quickly realising that they cannot produce the garments quick enough. The demand is to high (1 million units in 4-6 weeks) allocated factories that are no doubt, regularly inspected.
The suppliers, allegedly unbeknown to the reatiler, have subcontracted the workload to other areas. Other areas meaning, in sweatshops, homes and even shacks, with the machining being done by children as young as six years old, and with their parents eating sleeping and breathing my their sewing machines.

The issues that this subcontracting tells us about is, that it is a viscous cycle. As the demand for more units goes up, the more the suppliers are faced with. The more the suppliers are faced with, the more they will do because, they need the work, the children need the work, and more importantly, the suppliers need their custom, again and again.
The subcontractors are driving the issue, yes, but only because the have no other choice. The real culprits are the companies inspectors. They should be aware that the factories are not the only place where their clothes are being made.

AFFECT ON ME
Sadly, I believe that this will be going on for many years to come. I am not a money-hungry employee. I do think that this problem can be resolved by proper use of these inspectors, and ultimately stopping the 'ignorance is bliss' attitude that we all have. Do I think this is coming any day soon? Not a chance.
I can't however say I am not fascinated by this side of the market. I have to see for myself.




No comments: