11/04/2010

It's Business Time.

I have wanted to be a buyer since I was about 15. It's amazing really. I'm completely fascinated by my

Here's what I will be doing day-to-day when I've reached my first major goal and will therefore in career heaven!

The priorities of a fashion buyer are;
  • to liase with suppliers. Building relationships with the suppliers of the garments is important in order for the buyer to ensure that the best quality garments are manufactured on time, and at a negotiated price that suits the business
  • meeting with suppliers and seeing new designs
  • to work with designers in creating the perfect product.
  • to attend regular meetings with the buying team and merchandisers so that i can identify best and worst sellers within the current range.
  • to keep in the know of fashion and market trends
  • to identify customer demand be it based on price, quality or availability of the garment.
  • review old stock when making decisions in order to keep up with competitors, as well as keeping an eye on their products and store policies.
  • reviewing the performance of a product and initialing the sales or reductions
  • attending trade fairs/shows to source new products all over the world (at a higher level)
Skills needed to be a fashion buyer;
  • A fashion degree (nearly there!)
  • Gain retail experience working on a shop floor (3 years worth)
  • Well-organised
  • Enthusiastic
  • Motivated
  • Creative vision
  • Strategic, analytical
  • Numerate
The main thing that I think I need to work on is my maths skills, just simple additions that i have lost track of slightly since school. But I am so ready for this. Bring it on.

No comments: